5 Types Of Food to Avoid After Getting Braces
Brackets and wires are present in both ceramic and metal braces, which can make cleaning your teeth challenging. Even with the best toothbrush or floss, it may still be difficult to reach some areas. As a result, it’s imperative to refrain from eating some foods that could lodge in difficult-to-reach places. On top of that, hard and sticky foods can damage your braces and bend wires. If this happens too frequently, it could potentially lengthen the amount of time you spend in braces.
Not all foods that need to be avoided are included on the list below. It’s intended to give you an idea of some of the foods you should be cautious of or completely avoid. Any food that is unclear can be clarified by your orthodontist.
• Chewy foods — bagels, licorice, beef jerky
• Crunchy foods — popcorn, chips, ice
• Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum, taffy
• Hard foods — nuts, hard candies, ice, hard pizza crust, pretzels
• Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, carrots